Saturday, March 29, 2008

Welcome to The Workplace Part 2

I had heard the rumours.......
I had seen from a distance Nurse GiGi in action......
And Today, I finally had to work a painful 12 hour shift with her train wreck of an ass.
I walked into the breakroom for huddle and saw i was in the psych zone. 
Fuck Me! Must have been for banging out a few Sundays before. I strolled into the zone and ran right into the tornado of Nurse GiGi. She looked up from the pile of notes, charts, seculusion forms and, section paper work-
"Oh thank god! Are you the tech over here??"
"Yup, Do you need something right away?" I asked.
"Oh yeah can you get an ECG in room 3 and labs while your in there, I am drowning here. I can't get ahead of all this work."
Fair enough I thought. After all there were 29 in the WR. I logged into the computer to dig up an old ECG for Daisheiki in room 3. Thats when I noticed there were only two beds occupied in our 7 bed psych zone. 
WTF over!
Even worse only one of them was a psych peep. The other in room 3 was an overweight alcoholic with pancreatitis who couldn't lay still for a ECG for her 15 out of 10 chest pain. The labs were their own nightmare. I ended up chasing a small vein all over her left hand until I anchored it strecthing it like a rubber band. 
I spent about 45 minutes in the room total. I walked out feeling like I was in there for hours. I walked over to the tube station passing GiGi on the way.
"Where were you???" she implied.
" In 3 drawing blood. Good luck with that IV." I snapped back.
"Oh the resident just ordered some zofran for her. Do you mind starting an IV for me? Oh an after that 2 needs vitals and something to eat."
Your kidding me right. We have two patients, one has already been here for six hours.
"Ok GiGi, I'll start the IV and you can take care the other guy." I reply
"I can't right now I need to catch up on his chart. The triage nurse won't leave me alone, i told her no more until I catch up." She blurts out.
I am used to seeing up to 11 PTs in Psych zone. Usually they are mostly ETOH and a few true psych players (see my pink zone post). There are 3 sitters, 1 nurse, 1 tech and, 1 security guard.
So I'm busting my ass, Nurse trainwreck is trying to print everything in the same color ink and, everyone else is sitting by the nurse station speaking loudly in jamican and playing dominos. Execept for Security, he is watching march madness on the internet eyes glazed over having already been on duty for 16 hours with another 4 to go. 
As I walk towards the room with my IV set up in a kidney basin I see the resource nurse pushing a stretcher with PT, monitor, lifepack, nitro drip and 2 cards residents moving fast towards me.
"Brown, Get this guy up to the cath lab! He is a code STEMI Don't stop for shit! I gotta go help out on the code that just came in. Thanks Love ya!" 
She hands off the pathway paper work and the stretcher to me in about three seconds in passing.
I come screaming around the corner in psych zone on our way to the elavator. I aim for the domino game and clear it out fast!
" Hey Watch werr ya goin Mon!" 
Nurse GiGi looks up from her chart. " Brown your supposed to be putting that IV in for me. Where do you think your going??" 
I laugh out loud and reply as I fly by "Just out for a cigarette, they are joining me from the cath lab."
We rush upstairs and I help slide the PT onto the table and make my departure back to the ED.  When I get back downstairs I notice there is a different nurse in the psych zone. I ask where Nurse Trainwreck went off to. I am told she had to leave for a personal emergency.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like we work with the same nurse, can't handle shit but knows everything in the book.